Saturday, July 18, 2009

Michelle, My Belle

So...today my friend Michelle is entering her thirty's. It's about time, since i have been here for awhile already. Just wanted to tell you a little bit about why I love this girl.

Michelle was the first friend I made after moving back to the Illiana area. She was dating one of Eric's high school friends from college. She was friendly immediately, and in a genuine way, not the way some girls are with their friends' wives. (You girls know what I am taking about.)

I met her when I was pregnant. I was only 22, so most of my friends were still in college or just graduated and living in Michigan. No one I knew was starting a family, and most didn't understand what I was experiencing with my first baby.

Michelle didn't care about this, and she was excited about having a newborn around. She would invite me over for girls' tv night and make brownies. When Kaylee was born, she was usually the first to grab her out of our hands, if Ryan didn't get her first. She loved on my kids and still remembered that I was more than a just a mom, I was also still a friend. Plus, she was quick to offer me candy to suppress my enormous sweet tooth.

Michelle is one of those unique people that have friends from all different times in her life. She has childhood friends, friends from high school, friends from working retail (Areo and AE), and a really close relationship with immediate and extended family. She can do this because she is able to meet people where they are at and she can be friends with so many types of people. She is not quick to judge or label anyone, just enjoy them for who they are. This is a rare quality that makes her a terrific friend. When you become friends with Michelle you as a friend for life, not just a couple of years.

This the why people love to be around Michelle. She enjoys having people over to spoil with burgers and bbq chips and margaritas. She'll tell you to bring not only your kids, but also your dog. (She is a dog lover of all sorts.) She is a wonderful host who is relaxed and easy going. Quick to laugh at stories and share her own. She has a way of making people feel like they belong.

After saying all it might surprise you to hear that the other thing about Michelle is how honest she is. I love how she can say it like it is, but say it in such a loving way that no one is mad even if it is brutally honest. She always means well, and will say it with a smile. She isn't cruel or mean about it, but she doesn't hold back and isn't passive when she wants to say something. I have noticed this because she will sometimes say things that I am thinking. I admire this quality and wish I could have it.

Michelle is in Indy this weekend to visit family, but last weekend her closest friends threw her a party which surprised her with another dog lover friend from Tennessee. I hope you know how loved you are Michelle. Thanks for being such a good friend to me. I will enjoy spending our thirties together and make even more memories than in our twenties. You are the best!

(My computer is still broken, so I will have to post some pictures of her later.)

No comments: