Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Go Team Stevers!

A couple of months ago, I signed up to train for a half marathon.

You can stop laughing now.

When I started teaching, there were two things that ended...exercise and housework. While I don't miss the housework because I think a clean house is totally overrated, I really missed the exercise. Used to do aerobics, pilates, and walk with some other moms, but I wasn't doing any of it. Zip, nada, zilch. So I can understand why my brothers thought I was crazy.

But seriously, Lane and Lance, you can stop laughing now.

It was a pretty sudden decision. Our church is running the Chicago Rock n Roll marathon to raise money for Rwanda. So many people I knew were training that I thought if I ever have a chance to complete a half marathon, it is now.

Plus, I have a secret weapon, my running partner, Jen.

I remember the night she called me and said that we could do it. I believed her and signed up for the race, however, I couldn't even sleep that night because I was so nervous. Prior to signing up for the race, we already had committed to each other to get healthier. Mom's can be so concerned with meeting the needs of their family that they forget to meet their own. We have 5 kids between the two of us, so training had to become a priority. This is where our husbands have really been supportive. They have babysat all the kids as needed, done nighttime routine without us, and sometimes completed the morning routine by dressing and feeding them breakfast. Despite that they think we are crazy that we have been waking up at 5 am to complete a 7-9 mile run, I know they understand how important it is to us.

Not only as it been good for us to get into shape, believe it or not, running has been enjoyable. Wait...let me clarify, I still hate to exercise, but I enjoy exercising with Jen. There were days that we were so stressed from daily life, but knew that at 7 at night we would be running. We would sweat off each bad moment of the day and recharge ourselves for the next.

I talk a lot while I run. When I run with Jen I refer to it as my monologue, since Jen focuses on my talking, her steps, and proper breathing while we run. I am glad that she can keep up with my talking since I can be quite random in topics. I talk about my life both past and present, daily mundane activities (like the housework I should have finished), and I talk a lot about my family. We have kids the same age, so we compare stories. There is a lot to laugh about when it comes to kids. She shares about having a boy, and I realize I know nothing about raising a little boy. However, if I could have a little boy like her Evan, I wouldn't be scared. Jen and I are going to go out after the race for dinner, so she can talk my ear off to make up for all the monologues I have given her.

Race day is almost here. We are almost ready. Whatever happens will be okay with us. We will complete this race and we will do it together hopefully running about 9 of the 13 miles. Our cheetah friends (Cort, Laura, Sue, Sharla) will be at the finish line cheering us on, and we will arrive like the rabbits that we are to claim our prize. I feel like I already won because not only have gotten back into shape, I've made a really good friend along the way.

Go Team Stevers!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I think this is the BEST BIRTHDAT card ever!!!!! I am so blessed to have u in my life and as my partner in this race!!!! Thanks for always being at my side and getting me through it.. U r the best... And thanks for this awesome card... U made me cry:)

audrey said...

hey doll!
so fun to read your entry about jen.
she does so totally rock
love u!