Although I initially resisted I am truly excited. Now that the decision is made, it is time to enjoy and receive the joy that this child will bring into our lives. I dream about how this child is going to be different than my first two, but also how I am going to be a different mom to this child as well.
For my oldest, we were so spoiled as new parents. She slept through the night at four months, only cried when hungry, and smiled at anyone who would smile at her first. She was the kind of baby that made you fall in love with motherhood. The best part of my day was greeting her in her crib in the morning where she was cooing, never crying, while playing with her crib aquarium. She never really went through separation anxiety when I left her with a sitter. She wasn't afraid of her great grandparents despite all the wrinkles, as my own grandmother would say. She wasn't a picky eater and didn't make a fuss when we needed to change her diaper. She made me feel good as a mom. I thought I figured out this mothering gig. Embarrassed to say this now, I couldn't understand why my other new mom friends were complaining about their new roles. It wasn't that hard. You know....maybe they should just suck it up, after all it was worth it, right?
Enter child number two.
God knew what He was doing when He sent me Kaylee first and Cameron second. I wouldn't be ready for Cameron as the oldest. She refused to take a bottle and her dependence on me as the sole food provider was very draining. She didn't sleep though the night until about 2 years of age, so I was constantly tired. She hated getting her diaper changed and at 10 months would make a dash down the hall the second I took the diaper off her tiny naked behind. She took it upon herself to start potty training....at 18 months, which was much earlier than I was ready. She pushed and challenged me in many different ways. She humbled me and molded me into a different kind of mom. The kind of mom she needed me to be to stand up to this little one with her own agenda. I began to develop empathy for my friends and their "complaints" about their motherhood experiences. I didn't understand this whole mothering gig.
Don't get me wrong. Cameron isn't all difficult just as Kaylee wasn't always easy. Cameron brought us joy in so many different ways. She was the only three year old girl I've known that could understand and properly use sarcasm. She just might be the funniest person I have ever met. She has a shy charm about her that make her unique. To those she chooses into her life she cherishes dearly. Although she is a tough girl, she also has a very soft heart which she displays with those she loves.
This is a small snapshot of how extremely different my kids are. Their personality, likes, dislikes are just as unique as their first years of life. Why am I reflecting on this? I am in anxious anticipation of what God has in store for this third child in our lives. Is the next child going to possess qualities like my oldest or like soon to be middle child or like both or maybe even like neither. Regardless, the excitement about the possibilities of the future child is undeniable. Having two very different children so far has taught me a very important lesson which is that I don't have to have the mothering jig totally figured out.
Why is the third time a charm? Because I truly believe that I am going to enjoy it more this time around. I won't be the so nervous about holding a newborn and I'll know what to do when my child is sick. I won't take it as a personal attack on my mothering skills if my child isn't sleeping through the night immediately or won't smile at a stranger in the supermarket. The third child already has a charmed life because not only is he/she already loved by mom and dad, but my two sweet, excited, and experienced older sisters as well.
2 comments:
so thankful for the gift God has given you! can't wait to meet HIM! :)
Love this one and totally relate to both experiences! Caroline has humbled me in ways I never knew another person could :)
Having been there for some of the first chapter, I am so excited to hear about the third!
Love ya,
Kate
Post a Comment