Saturday, May 9, 2009

How Lucky You Are

Last night we saw our school's production of Suessical Jr. The students did such a nice job on their performance. Kaylee looks forward to this every year, and she already saw the matinee performance on Wednesday. After I put the kids to bed, I went to check on them 45 mins. later and they were both sitting up in their beds while Kaylee was telling Cameron all about the characters in the play. I told them to talk about it in the morning.

Thursday morning Kaylee wakes up early, and gets out paper, string, and crayons. She is busy working on something. Her music teacher, Miss Laurie, had told the kids that if they wore costumes to the night performances, their names would be put in a hat and a winner is picked. The girls created their own costumes. Kaylee was Horton the elephant and Cameron was Amazing Maisy.

After the Friday performance, the winner's name was chosen. And the winner is.....Kaylee Evers! She put her homemade mask and ears on a gladly went to front of the stage to get her picture taken with Horton, Robby, and collect her prizes. She won a stuffed Fox in Socks, the book "Fox in Socks", a coloring book, some candy, and the book "All the Things you can Think."

While she was smiling for the picture with Horton, the audience collectively said, "Aw..." I was one proud mama.
My mom, sister, and nephew had joined us at the play so we left to go have ice cream afterwards. The whole car ride Kaylee just repeated, "I can't believe I won." She was all smiles.

When we got home and were getting her ready for bed after a long day of school, a birthday party, softball practice, and the school play we asked her what she was thinking when she heard that she won. Her stream of conscience was as follows:

"I can't believe I won!"

"Why is everyone looking at me?"

"Do I have to talk up there?"

"Me and Horton look the same."

"Madeline looked happy for me, but Lexi and Tori were mad they didn't win."

"Why is everyone still looking at me?"

She went to bed last night hugging her new fox and dreaming of the Whos. I was happy for Kaylee because is such a good kid and should be rewarded for that on occasion. Here she is still in costume with all her loot. As Amazing Maisy would say, "Tell yourself...how lucky you are!"

No comments: