They were able to create a patriotic picture frame, a mask, and a butterfly magnet. I enjoyed watching them work on their projects. They are both old enough that I didn't have to help nor did either want my help. They both had their own ideas of how to make the project.
I noticed something about my kids today which I am not sure is a milestone in their ages or more to do with their personality traits which I have often mentioned are very opposite. When Kaylee was designing her frame she would create a pattern on the frame first, then apply the glue separately. Her frame was very neat and orderly. She made it symmetrical and made sure that the colors were even distributed. Her frame was adorable and it looked like it could be used as a "teacher's example" in the classroom.
On the other hand, Cameron creates her frame with reckless abandonment. There was no logic to her design or any preparation. Instead she pours ribbons and dots of glue on her frame and adds whatever pieces are closest to her hand. She creates layers and clusters among the puddles of glue. After she was finished the pride on her face showed me that it was exactly how she intended it to be even if it was a little sticky. She couldn't even hold it up to take a picture without one of the stars sliding off.
Neither frame was better than the other, nor do I feel that either process was better than another. However, I thought about this art lesson for most of the day and wondered is this how Kaylee and Cameron are going to live their life?
Planning life the way that Kaylee was planning her project is important. Setting goals and completing them can be very fulfilling and help them succeed in many different areas of their life. However, attacking something with passion can yield some unexpected results. As a mom I want my kids to have both of these. I want them to take risks, yet be safe. I want them to love fully and deeply, yet not get hurt. I want them to enjoy life and use their unique gifts, talents, and abilities to be the person that they are intended to be.That is easier said than done. Life is sticky sometimes, and what I want for my kids may not be what they are going to become.
Only time will tell how they will choose to live their life. I just hope that they can use mine as an example. I was planning for many things, but God had a different plan for my life. I used the unexpected and surrendered to God's will and was blessed in the process. As for my kids I just have to be patient and let it all unfold before me.
What is on the agenda for the next art class? Painting. That should be interesting.
What is on the agenda for the next art class? Painting. That should be interesting.
1 comment:
lauren, u r an amazing mom! :)
Post a Comment