I have been wanting to post something about my husband Eric for a long time and I hope in doing so I don't completely embarrass him because he is not one who desires extra attention. In addition, it is hard to put into words our relationship, but in honor of our anniversary, I came up with some things to write about without divulging too much personal information about us.
I met Eric is high school. He was in my Earth Science class, and I remember telling my friends that I wanted to date him before high school was over. He didn't ask me out until sophomore year, and we were so young that someone else had to drive us around because we didn't have our driver's license yet. On our first date he brought me to a fancy steak house.
Nice thought, but at the time I was a vegetarian.
That's okay, he was charming enough that I agreed to another date.
It's very apparent how different Eric and I are. Besides our different colored eyes, we have different interests and hobbies. In some ways these differences are really good for our relationship. I have learned some things from him and he has learned new things from me. We compliment each other in this way. Although I complain about his obsession with sports, having a hot dog and an Old Style beer at Wrigley field really is a good way of spending a summer afternoon, as well as, tailgating outside Solider Field is fun in the fall. He's taught me to challenge myself as a skier and recently has taken me to the driving range to test my golfing skills...which by the way, are not so good.
One commonality we have is the love of traveling. We have created a lot of shared memories and experiences together as a couple through this hobby. We've shopped Kris Kringle markets with mulled wine in Salzburg, Austria. Boated through Coronado Bay. Drove up the Pacific coast highway. Taken a carriage ride through Central Park. Listened to live Irish music in the Gaslamp village. Visited a volcano in Maui. Walked through a rain forest in Puerto Rico. Survived 95 degree heat at the amusement parks in Orlando. Celebrated passing my teacher certification tests while skiing in Colorado. Dolphin watched at New Smira Beach. Relished the art at Balboa Park. Rode the train at the Marianplatz station and ate tons of Veal Schnitzel while in Munich. Staying overnight in Chicago. Snorkeled at Molokini Crater. Cliff jumped at the Lake of the Ozarks. Drove the road to Hana. Walked the beaches of Santa Monica and Venice "muscle" Beach. Had seafood at midnight in Times square. Watched a pick-up game at Petco Park. Enjoyed a street festival in Old San Juan. Explored caves at a black sand beach. Watch Phish play in the Everglades. We have even visited the world's largest truck stop. The list doesn't end there and I know that there are even more that I am forgetting. What I know for certain is that I look forward to the many more places we'll travel together and future memories we'll make.
One commonality we have is the love of traveling. We have created a lot of shared memories and experiences together as a couple through this hobby. We've shopped Kris Kringle markets with mulled wine in Salzburg, Austria. Boated through Coronado Bay. Drove up the Pacific coast highway. Taken a carriage ride through Central Park. Listened to live Irish music in the Gaslamp village. Visited a volcano in Maui. Walked through a rain forest in Puerto Rico. Survived 95 degree heat at the amusement parks in Orlando. Celebrated passing my teacher certification tests while skiing in Colorado. Dolphin watched at New Smira Beach. Relished the art at Balboa Park. Rode the train at the Marianplatz station and ate tons of Veal Schnitzel while in Munich. Staying overnight in Chicago. Snorkeled at Molokini Crater. Cliff jumped at the Lake of the Ozarks. Drove the road to Hana. Walked the beaches of Santa Monica and Venice "muscle" Beach. Had seafood at midnight in Times square. Watched a pick-up game at Petco Park. Enjoyed a street festival in Old San Juan. Explored caves at a black sand beach. Watch Phish play in the Everglades. We have even visited the world's largest truck stop. The list doesn't end there and I know that there are even more that I am forgetting. What I know for certain is that I look forward to the many more places we'll travel together and future memories we'll make.
It's been fun to travel with our kids as well. Sometimes I even drive to meet Eric while he is traveling for work. The kids and I are able to visit parks and museums during the day and meet Eric out for dinner at night. The kids love the experience of staying at a hotel.
Due to our differences, we are able to give different exposure to our kids. We both bring something new to the table. I have a love of painting and creating things which is fun to do with my kids, however, I couldn't teach Kaylee how to properly hit a golf ball. I enjoy reading to them and painting their nails, and Eric plays games and catch with them.
Due to our differences, we are able to give different exposure to our kids. We both bring something new to the table. I have a love of painting and creating things which is fun to do with my kids, however, I couldn't teach Kaylee how to properly hit a golf ball. I enjoy reading to them and painting their nails, and Eric plays games and catch with them.
Eric has always been a guy that loves kids which is a very attractive quality in a guy. In college he would buy giant candy bars for the neighbor kids Dee, Heaven, Sunshine, and Jasmine. When his aunt has his cousin Teddy, he drove out that weekend despite that finals were the following week in order to hold him. He is always giving extra attention to his nephews by playing kickball, and will play whiffleball with our friends' kids at backyard bbq's. I always thought that watching him with little kids was sweet, but it doesn't compare to witnessing him father our own kids.
Our kids changed us deeply, a blessing that doesn't always transpire in all young parents. He was so excited about me going into labor with my our first child, he called and told everyone before she was even born. After Kaylee being only hours old, he held her in his arms he looked at his own dad and said, "She's never dating." (More on the day she was born here.) Most days he rushes home from work to be greeted by our kids begging for their daily wrestling match with dad. When the kids were younger and we got babysitters, he would race me out of the car and into the house in order to greet the children first. Sometimes he would try to lock me in the car to insure the first hugs and kisses from the girls.
Those girls have him wrapped around their fingers, but the feeling is mutual. Eric doesn't fully understand the power of his words to our kids. His words are gold. He might be the only person in the world to convince Kaylee that wearing a dress is cool. Whenever our kids see us hugging each other, they try to squeeze in between. They want to be as close to him as much as possible. Work may give Eric out of town clients/trips and longer hours in the winter than most fathers, but when Eric is home, he is present. Not all kids can say that about their dad even if he is home all the time, and for that I am thankful and the kids are truly blessed.
Those girls have him wrapped around their fingers, but the feeling is mutual. Eric doesn't fully understand the power of his words to our kids. His words are gold. He might be the only person in the world to convince Kaylee that wearing a dress is cool. Whenever our kids see us hugging each other, they try to squeeze in between. They want to be as close to him as much as possible. Work may give Eric out of town clients/trips and longer hours in the winter than most fathers, but when Eric is home, he is present. Not all kids can say that about their dad even if he is home all the time, and for that I am thankful and the kids are truly blessed.
Although Eric might be embarrassed by the next thought I have, I want my kids to know this about their dad. We aren't the type of couple that give each gifts on holidays or birthdays. Presents don't mean much to me because I would rather spend time together. (When Kaylee made this realization she panicked and asked how old you are when you stop receive presents for your birthday. I think she was nervous she didn't have many years left!) Some people need gifts to be shown that they are loved and maybe Kaylee is one of those people which is fine. Myself on the other hand knows Eric loves me without that, and here is only some of the proof.
He calls me on the phone to talk even though he hates to talk on the phone. But also because if he waits no adult conversation will take place with kids around.
He's gotten very good at planning special things for us, such as celebrating my 30th in Mexico and special weekends away.
Although we don't give each other presents, he is good at picking out the perfect card for me. Precise and straightforward, yet heartfelt. I have kept them all.
He texts me when he is traveling for work even if it is while I am at school and he knows I won't get it until later.
He kisses me good-bye every morning while I am still in bed even if he leaves at 4 am to catch an early flight. Doesn't seem like much, but it means the world to me. Most mornings i am still asleep, and it's a nice way to wake up.
Best of all, he calms my worries and fears with his laid back personality and sensibility. He knows when I am overreacting to situations and might be the only one who can calm me down. (Those that know me well know that this is not an easy feat. This boy deserves medal!)
We have been through a lot as a couple. Obviously, we are much different people than when we meet in high school. We have grown and changed. We have faced our fair share of obstacles and challenges throughout our life together. However, despite it all have learned and grown stronger. Things aren't perfect for us and I know that we will face different challenges in the future, but I know for certain that my life is better with Eric as my husband. Marrying him eight years ago was the best decision I have ever made and I look forward to many more years together.
Oh, and yes, opposites really do attract.

Oh, and yes, opposites really do attract.
3 comments:
glad I could be there 8 (8?!) years ago! Great couple now, and then!
u guys make a fab couple!
That is beautiful, Lauren. Happy anniversary!
Post a Comment