Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spring Break

We didn't start our spring break off well. As I mentioned earlier, Kaylee and I started it with the flu. We both laid on the couch drinking ginger ale and watching a lot of TV and movies. We made the best of a bad situation and I enjoyed having two whole days to chat with her until we were feeling better. Cameron spent the first day that we were sick with her Nana Evers as a precaution. She took her shopping and bought her a new dress with a mini matching one for her bitty baby. Cameron was so excited about this that she needed to model it for us.

After we got better, the girls and I started some spring cleaning. Our school is starting a thrift center to help with tuition reduction, and I thought this was a perfect opportunity to get rid of stuff we no longer need. We are planning on moving in the next year or two, so better to get rid of it now. The girls did an excellent job getting rid of toys they no longer played with and organizing the toys they love. Why am I telling you about our spring cleaning? While we were cleaning I commented on how generous the girls were being with their toys. Cameron replies, "Satan hates it when we do that." I love how Cameron makes those connections. Too precious.

The rest of the break we spent having fun. Kaylee wanted to cash in some reward points and have a sleepover at Nana Zoerhof's house all by herself. She really had a fun time with them. They took her bowling and out for ice cream and in the morning she went golfing with Papa.


Cameron was missing her sister, so Eric and I took her out for dinner to a speciality hot dog place. She loves hot dogs, but I never make them at home, so it was a treat.

Even though we tried to cheer her up with dinner, she was still missing Kaylee. When we put her to bed at night she asked me, "Do you think that Kaylee is having more fun that me right now?" Then when she woke up in the morning she ran to my room and asked when we were going to get her. It is good for Cameron to see Kaylee earning fun rewards. Hopefully it will spur her into better behavior to choose her own fun rewards. We meet my mom and Kaylee at the mall and shared a pretzel before we took her home. The girls are so happy to be together again.Although our spring break started with some snow, it did warm up later in the week. The girls were so ready to get outside and get dirty. Kaylee loves to climb trees and the Molenaars have the perfect one to climb. It was nice to spend some time at their house. We don't see them much now that Kaylee and Simon are both in school. We look forward to having more time together over the summer at the pool.
We also had some friends over during our break. My friend Laura and her two youngest kids came over to play. The girls wanted to dye more Easter eggs with them. (I have never dyed some many eggs in one year!) It was a hit with all the kids though. Afterwards Cameron played Barbies with Addison and Kaylee played Battleship with Carson. We can't wait to have them over again sometime.
Addison and Cameron. Don't they look like they could be cousins?
Kaylee smiling like usual.
Carson getting ready to use the blue dye.

Later that day the girls were staying with Nana and Papa Evers. Eric had a work event and I was going on a girls' night out. Cameron was so excited to be going on this sleepover that she packed two suitcases for one short night. My kids are so blessed to be able to enjoy the company of their grandparents.
Later that weekend we went to the Matthysse's home for Bible study. We meet two times a month, once with kids and once without. Here's all the kids smiling and waiting for Ryan to get out the guitar and play some music so they can sing along.

Phil had prepared a small children's lesson for the kids using balloons. The message was that even though we can't see the air in the balloon doesn't mean it isn't there. Just like air, God is there. The kids enjoyed playing catch with all the balloons after the message.

1 comment:

audrey said...

i love that pic of all the kids!