Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kaylee Enters Second Grade

Where did the summer go? I can't believe it is that time again! More importantly, where is our darling little Kaylee. Our sweet little angel we brought home from the hospital seven years ago. No stopping time, so I guess I will embrace the moment. Here we are in my classroom before school started. I love working at her school!

Kaylee was ready to start school, which is always a relief for me. Letting Kaylee go into first grade was really difficult. It was first time that another adult would be spending more time with my child that I would. Luckily, she had a wonderful year.
Kaylee wasn't excited for school until she heard that she was having Mrs. Donovan. She had been wanting her as a teacher ever since she spent some time in her classroom over Young Author's Week at our school. Seriously, what little kids wouldn't want her as a teacher? She is young, stylish, and very pretty, yet has a calm and gentle demeanor that kids really relate well to. Upon learning she was going to be sharing Second Grade with her, Kaylee packed her backpack with all the school supplies she needed, two weeks prior to the first day of school.

Finally the first day of school arrived. Kaylee had her outfit picked out and her bag ready. There was one thing that we didn't expect. In the middle of the night Kaylee woke up screaming! Eric jumped out of bed grabbed her and we both calmed her down in our room. We didn't turn on the light and just hoped that whatever bothered her would go away and she could fall right back to sleep. In the morning, we realized that is wasn't a nightmare she had, but she had smacked her head on the bed railing in the middle of the night. She had a huge goose egg on her head and bruise for even longer. Good thing it didn't hurt too much.There was another reason Kaylee was so excited about this school year. Her cousin and best friend, Simon was starting at Highland as well. He is in Mrs. Moore's class and judging on how much Kaylee enjoyed her class, I think Simon is going to have a great year as well.

Kaylee has been wishing and praying that Simon would go to her school. When we pray together at night, i asked Kaylee if she had any prayer requests from the day. "No," she replied, "I have a praise! Simon is coming to my school!"

The first day of school was also Simon birthday, and he requested a trip to Chuck e Cheese with my kids before his birthday dinner that night. The kids had so much fun and it was nice to have them celebrate their first day back.

So far I have already had Kaylee and Simon in class and can already tell that they are going to be two of my favorite classes this year. Cameron is ready to go back, but doesn't start until after Labor Day.

No comments: