Sunday, September 13, 2009

More Tales from the Playground

Kaylee has really blossomed this year. She has always had a hard time expressing herself. She is a sensitive child with many different feelings, but not always able to identify them. In addition, I think she is a lot like me because she is easily distracted and she seems to have more than one idea floating around in her head at one time.

Finally, she is starting to open up and communicate many different things about her day and about how she feels about them. I am loving being able to see this side of her. When I picked her up today she was bursting with pride and almost shouting says, "Mom! Guess what! The girls finally beat the boys at soccer today! 3 to 2."

"Wow, Kaylee! That's great!" I reply matching her enthusiasm.

"Yeah, but the boys keep saying it was a tie even though it's not. Anna scored a goal, Lexi scored a goal, and I scored a goal. Now the boys don't even want to play soccer with us anymore."

I nod my head while still driving home. I couldn't help but try to teach my daughter a life lesson in this moment, so I say, "Yeah Kaylee, no boys like to lose, not even your dad." I look in my rear view mirror to see her response.

She smiles and says, "Yeah, I know. That's why dad stopped playing Blokus (a board game) with me."

She may not communicate every thought crystal clear, however, this lesson was definitely learned.

No comments: