Every year the day after Thanksgiving we start to set up for Christmas. I don't have that many holiday decorations because I can't handle all the clutter around our small house for too long. However, the girls love all the holiday things, so I put up with the extra stuff for about a month.
Usually before we get all the stuff out, I have the girls go through their old stuff and give it away. We didn't start this process until yesterday because we have been so busy around here. Eric and I are trying to explain to them how blessed we are to be living in the United States and how many people (kids, in particular) are not nearly as fortunate as we are. The girls are used to recieving an overabunance of things from their loved ones at Christmas, and we want them to understand that it is a blessing. Donating unused items is a simple way that kids can learn to the values of generosity and caring for others, plus, our house doesn't become overstuffed with things we never use. After we went through our closets and the kids' toy room, we came up with at least 15 bags of things to donate.
Then we started to set up for Christmas. We always set up a tree that was given to us by Eric' mom when we first were married. We have an advent tree and calender that we were given by my mom. For the advent tree, we read a devotional and the kids put an ornament on the tree that represents the passage we read for that day. The calender is magnetic scene of the manger in which the kids will put a new magnet on for each day of December. When Christmas arrives, the scene in complete. Both traditions are very important to the girls and a good reminder of the real reason we celebrate the holidays.
Since I do not like the Christmas decorations, I decorate their bedroom more than the rest of the house. They have their own mini Christmas tree along with a winter village scene that we set up every year. These decorations were given to us by their Nana E as well, and is probably the girls favorite decorations. They typically sleep with all the village lights and Christmas tree lights on.
We have some more traditions that I will share with you when it is closer to Christmas. Also, I will post some pictures of the advent tree and Christmas village when I have my camera back.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment